Sunday, June 25, 2006

Lance's favorite to win the tour

Discussing his successor, Armstrong, the 34-year-old Texan who is now devoted to fighting cancer, had until recently gone back and forth all spring between Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso.

"As far as my favorite, I change my mind every week," he admitted during the Giro d'Italia last month. "The way Basso is riding the Giro, he's really impressive. Perhaps too impressive - he's spending too much energy.

"Ullrich has looked good during the Giro," he continued. "He's my favorite. I think the course suits him."

Then, in an e-mail message this month, Armstrong went even further in discussing the chances of Basso, the Italian leader of the CSC team, and Ullrich, the German leader of T-Mobile.

"I have been impressed by the way that Ullrich has looked of late," Armstrong wrote. "Wow." He spoke before Ullrich won the nine-day Tour of Switzerland this month, showing power in the mountains and dominance in a long time trial.

Full story

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home